Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Think Pink

It's October, and that means it is breast cancer awareness month. So, I changed my blog pink to show my support. Breast cancer hits pretty close to home for me because both my grandmas suffered from breast cancer and my mother-in-law is a survivor. This spring will actually mark 5 years or her being cancer free. I have seen the destruction and pain it can cause to a woman and her family, but I have also seen the strength that it can bring out. For the last couple years we've participated in the Komen Race for the Cure with my husbands' family and it has been so powerful to see all the names of people that the runners wear to commemorate. It is amazing when you look at the facts:
  • Every three minutes a woman in the US is diagnosed with breast cancer.
  • There are over 2 million survivors in the US today
  • About 211,240 invasive cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in women this year.
A Few other cool websites
  • You can check out more facts at www.breastcancer.org
  • Check out Dana's blog (a friend of Paul's). He and his band will be running in the Fresno Race for the Cure on Oct 28th and need more sponsors. This is a great way to support the cause and get involved.
  • Nicole Johnson does an amazing and very powerful skit about fighting breast cancer. You can read some of the dialog and/or order the DVD on her site. I saw the skit recently at a Women of Faith Conference and it was incredible. Check it out!

I hope this post will raise your awareness. I have so much respect for these women, my mother-in-law continues to impress me with her strength and positive attitude. Here is a pic of us just a few months ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Save the Ta-Tas!! Hooray for Boobies! Every woman is pretty in pink.

Thanks, Jenn. This is great. We're lucky you're in our family -- we could have ended up with a whole lot worse! :-)

love you, al